Old 10-04-07, 05:01 PM
Grun
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn_mojo
Hi everyone. So I've been running a homebrew light system on my commuter bike, a 20W halogen MR16 powered by a 5.5aH 12V SLA battery. Other than feeling like I'm carrying a bowling ball around, the light has been amazingly bright and reliable, I can run it to almost 3 hours at a stretch.

Problem is, aside from the weight, I can't very easily move this setup between bikes. I keep the battery in one of those rectangular rear rack bags, which is also quite handy for storing my extra clothes and lunch and such. However, I recently started taking a continuing ed night class and that bag just doesn't fit books and such. I hate wearing anything more than a light messenger bag on my back while riding, so I have been coveting the rack space for bungeeing my book bag down like I used to do when I was in college. Also, I would really love to be able to take some of my other bikes out riding at night without figuring out where to put a seven pound battery.

So, can anyone suggest a good, portable LED setup that won't break the bank? I don't want to spend more than $200, and would love to spend much less than that if possible. I've been looking into homebrewing an LED setup, but that seems to be a bit beyond me technically at the moment. So far I've been really intrigued by a dual Fenix L2D flashlight system, or the Dinotte 200L. Currently leaning towards the Fenix lights, since a couple lockblocks seem easy to remove and I love the idea that they serve double duty as actual flashlights.

Any other thoughts or suggestions out there for me? I realize there are a number of threads along similar lines, but I didn't want to hijack anyone elses specific requests for info.
I have read that Fenix's may have problems with the Turbo mode. Basically, left on for too long and it will fry it. Have you considered Wolf Eyes? Wolf Eyes are available at PTS Flashlight, but are meant to be much sturdier, and brighter. They have Q2's out now.

Fenix, ~110 lumens, at Turbo, if it stays on...and don't fry the light
Wolf Eyes Tactical Grade ~150-160 lumens rated for 2.5h

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/produ...9-104-110-6333

Also, consider not using lockblocks, but using my method instead:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=341687 (POST 17) GRUN.

The other option is to get the Dinotte 600L. That would be my option.