View Single Post
Old 10-04-07, 10:11 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by achc
Here is the story...

I just bought a full suspension frame and I am currently missing the following to complete my build:

Crankset & BB (sorta)
Rear Dérailleur
Shifter Pods
Cassette

I currently have a hardtail and I am going to make it a single speed after my full suspension is build up. The hardtail currently has a set of complete XT 8spd system (M740). A friend mine suggested to buy complete new parts on my new full suspension instead of transferring my 8spd system over is it is old. I am considering if I should do that or just or buy new parts. He said I might run into problems later if I use the 8spd.

If new parts, I am going for complete 2008 Shimano XT M770 Series. It will cost $500 tax included for crankset, bottom bracket, rear dérailleur, cassette, and shifter pods.

Of course budget is an issue here. But $500 isn't too much and I am debating if I should go with new parts or use old parts. I also have an old RaceFace Turbine LP which I can put on my new bike. But my new XT purchase must be in bulk (including the crankset) at that price or is a no deal at all.

What do you guys think...all new or go with old parts?
I built up a new suspension frame two years ago because I had been riding the same hardtail for so long. I went for all new 9 speed XT stuff for the FS build and have not regretted it. Kind of during the same time period I had been gathering up some new, some used 8 speed stuff to redo the hardtail (I love my steel Parkpre) because I had hung on to a 7 speed system for so long and THAT was ridiculous to keep replacing stuff. I had all 8 sp stuff except I had bought a new 9sp XT crank with which I was going to use a nine speed chain with the whole works. I just got to thinking about having to try to replace the 8 sp stuff in the future- and I just said screw it. Turned the HT into a nine speed and things are right with the world again.

Unless you just gotta have 8 speed, do what your friend said and build new 9 speed, I agree with him.
No issues, no unavailable parts, now you have new parts, now you have what most serious MTB people have.