mrbertfixy
WTF?

Bikes: trek cross, gt mtb, khs track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sammyboy
- this is the tricky one. Leaving the threads standard means definitely buying Phil Wood cups, and probably very soon a BB as well, the Shimano ones being increasingly hard to find. I also have had no luck finding a plastic BB. If I get the shell re-threaded to 24 tpi, should I also get it faced down to standard width? I need to find out how much this would cost.
facing might be more problematic than you think. i modded my R20 with a lot of help from a friendly mechanic. after opening the bottom bracket and starting to rethread it, the middle of the BB is thicker than the outside, meaning the threading tool couldn't thread all the way in enough for the facing tool. we ended up putting the old BB back in.

Originally Posted by Sammyboy
Cranks - free. My bike dealings mean that there's always a set of cranks laying around. I don't think 170's are going to cause me any great difficulty.
the stock cranks are 165s and there isn't much clearance. if you never pedal while cornering (even around slight bends), you'll be fine.
the best thing i did was to make a new fork. the old fork was a little bent anyway. i got a 7 degree sloping cyclocross crown, fork blades, dropouts w/eyelets, 270mm steerer tube, and canti bosses from novacycles.com. around $80. the sloping crown means you don't have to rake the blades, and i got plug-in dropouts=no filing.