View Single Post
Old 10-05-07, 07:50 AM
comradehoser
B.C. to D.C.

Location: between the Popeye's, the liquor store, the funeral home, and the strip club

Bikes: 1992 Miyata Nine 14; 1971 Raleigh Super Course fixie conversion; 2006 Jamis Nova (853 version); 2001 Diamondback Topanga (SS conversion); 1956 Rudge Sports; 1971 Raleigh Competition (processing); 199? Schwinn World Sport (processing)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wide-profile vs. narrow-profile cantis

can someone please settle this for me. I'm getting mixed messages regarding wide profile cantis from Paul and from velo news?

to quote from Paul: "These are very powerful brakes, and have a tendency to over power thin tubed frames (in any material). For none-too-stout frames and forks we recommend our Touring Canti."

to quote from velo news: "There are some trade offs with this style [wide profile]; the two most common complaints pertain to setup and lack of power."

I understand the high straddle = better clearance/less power. Thing is I tried Kores on a Jamis supernova with stock pads and the straddle set as low as possible (highest mechanical advantage, right?) without touching the wheel, and still couldn't lock up the wheel (they also didn't squeal, though). So what gives? Is it just the design of the individual brakes?