View Single Post
Old 10-05-07, 01:49 PM
djkenny

Bikes: Bakfiets, 1999 GT Nomad Hybrid, early 70's Schwinn Cruiser 5, Bridgestone MB-3, Trek 520 Disc, Electra Ticino 8D, Ochsner blue Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know WHICH Dutch commuter bike is the best built?

Pashley, Jorge and Olif, Gazelle, Azor, Batavus... ???

I have been picking up that the Azor and Gazelle models are the Bee's Knees as of so far...although mentioning of Batavus as a best all around value that will hold up just as well.

The Secret Service Azor model caught my interest for being a little bit sportier (lighter, tighter with smaller tire thickness). Not so sure if it is as elegant as the traditional models, however.

Main keys that I am seeking are:

Lasts forever and a day with lowest possible maintenance
Rust proofed pieces throughout
Comfy for my injured back
Fully enclosed chainguard
The headlight and rear lamp powered by an internal front hub
Best possibly quality made rear rack (maybe the front one many Dutch people tend to use)
the nifty rear white colored fender

Brakes & gear combos I am still a little less sure of?

The 7 spd models tend to have a drum style brake of some type up front? Good for all weather? & a coaster.

The 8spd (likely my 1st choice) has the drums or similar and they usually refer to this bike as top of line "deluxe"

Then you have the 3spd internal hub, and at a grand for the bike anyway...I tend to think it would be best value to go for the 7 or 8 spd

Nexus and Sram combos seem to be the option on most of the brand Dutch cycles mentioned.