View Single Post
Old 10-05-07, 04:15 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Hamlin
"Maybe make some kind of "band-aid" for it?"

Actually, I don't see this as a hijack but pretty topical since this nothing but a really freaky sidewall blowout -- I've heard you can use a dollar bill as a boot in an emergency -- if the hole(s) aren't too big. The paper is supposed to be that strong, but I'd guess that some Tyvek from a FedEx envelope might work even better. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has actually done this though. . .
I've used dollar bills before to boot a ripped sidewall. It works fine; as long as the tire isn't bulging after you've inflated the tire, it can be used as a semi-permanent repair. Just don't use anything made from regular paper. It'll not work. It needs to be something thick and cloth based, like a dollar bill or Tyvek. I've heard, though not tried, that a wrapper from a powerbar or cliff bar (these wrappers are pretty tough, not like a Snicker's bar wrapper) will work too. Also, Park Tool makes a premade boot, which has the advantage over the homemade boots in that it has adhesive on one side.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter