View Single Post
Old 10-05-07, 04:21 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
Sometimes on my early morning commutes to work my helmet light will illuminate the eyes of unidentified animals looking at me from off in the woods.

One morning I had a glowing spot float slowly across the road in front of me. My initial instict was to accelerate and see what it was, but it was across the road and into the trees before I could get close enough. Figured it must have been a deer that never looked directly at me, so I was only seeing the reflection from one eye.

This stuff is spooky enough to be humorous.

I don't ever see anything that really spooks me. Except maybe the black guy that I sometimes see on a bike with no lights or relectors. He comes out of nowhere. I guess he gets off the road when he sees a car coming, because I've only ever seen him on a 55 mph speed limit, NOL, two lane highway. It would only be luck if a driver going the speed limit at night were able to avoid him after seeing him.
I really don't understand the guys who ride with no lighting whatsoever. I can understand being poor---but you can buy "be seen" lights at WalMart for really, really cheap. I mean, bottle of wine cheap. I saw one a couple of months ago. Pitch black darkness, no moon, and this guy is riding down the side of US 19 wearing a black t-shirt, dark jeans, AND NO FREAKING BLINKIE. Not even a reflector. I chased him down and gave him a cheap blinkie I had in my bag. His response? He pedalled off---HOLDING IT IN FRONT OF HIM. Unreal.