View Single Post
Old 07-19-04, 08:02 PM
Tom Pedale

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Crazy...you mention cassette and freewheel in your post. You do realize they are different. How often do they get replaced? As often as they fail.....(not very)
Now you've got me started...but in a good way

Yeah, you're right about my mixing terms..some habits die hard. I started cycling before cassettes were invented, when freewheels ruled the earth. Like the old style Regina Oro that took the touch of a brain surgeon lest you ripped the poorly designed slots that the freewheel puller inserted into. Also, during the age of the freewheel (Cogassic Age when Merckxasaurus Rex was King!) many suffered bent rear axles (lots of them were Campy Records) since so much of it was unsupported on the drive side. Then the cassettes appeared, a much improved result of the industrious tool using Shimano tribe. Do I miss the old technology? Not a bit! When the history of cycling technology is finally written by a non-Italian;with the invention of the cassette, index shifting, and linear response road brakes, it will be ever so obvious that the quantum leaps in bicycle component technology came from the East.

Here's a little story: when Mike Sinyard, founder and Pres. of Specialized spec' the first production bike, the Stumpjumper, many mountain bike parts were not yet invented. The Tommaselli brake levers came from motorcycles, the crankset was a french T.A. Cyclotouriste with a jillion bolts holding the rings together. Mike went to Italy and said to Campagnolo: "Hey guys, you're the gold standard, the creme de la creme of bike parts. This mountain bike thing is gonna be a big deal. Howzabout designing some parts for these rigs and making a few lira to boot?" The collective heads of Campy sniffed the rarified air of Vicenza and basically said the mountain bike was a dead end on the family tree of cycling. Mike then went to Japan, talked to a few folks over there that sensed the Euro complacency and the rest is history. By the time Campy got started on making a mountain bike gruppo, they were so far behind the curve that they never ever succeeded in making commercially successful mountain bike parts. The mountain bike, in fact pushed cycling technology because of it's popularity. With a big market came the big changes in drivetrain technology and Shimano invented the most important ones, the cassette included.

I feel better now..