Old 07-19-04, 08:36 PM
AMartin56

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently posted a thread about how no one here seemed to talk about Jamis but it looks like the brand is well thought of just smaller than some other manufacturers. I recently purchased a Jamis Explorer 3.0 from Buck's Bikes here in Austin TX and so far I'm please with it.

Consumer reports gave good reviews to the line back in a recent issue so I checked one out. Until about 5 weeks ago I hadn't been on a bike since my mid teens (20 years ago) and it seems to be a good bike for getting back into the swing of things. My experience is very limited (it was the only bike I test drove) but it seems to handle and break well and seems to be a good fitness bike. It's not really built for speed with the wide comfort tires etc but at the price I paid ($379) it seemed like a good choice and I like the fact that I can take it on improved trails if the mood strikes me (I've only gone out to the Veloway in Austin TX so far). I'm please with the bike but I hope to move on to a better road bike if I stick to the hobby in a year or so...I just couldn't make myself drop a ton of cash on a racing bike when I felt that some time on the Explorer would help me know what I want when I do buy a better bike...

Andrew

It seemed that none of your choices 'felt' right from what you describe. If you're like me and just getting back into the sport you may found like I did that a few things seems strange fit wise until you go out with the bike you choose a few times. After one trip out I had my LBS move in the handlebars a bit to reduce the reach and raise the seat a bit. Since I have a hard time keeping the balls of my feet on the pedals I may ask them to suggest a few other adjustments here in a bit.