Thread: Jan Giving Up?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-04, 11:10 PM
bagel
(Poppyseed)

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Veloce, 2001 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 1996 Specialized Hardrock GX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From his Tour diary (http://www.t-mobile-team.com/cms/tmoteam/en/)

19.07.2004/ The Tour starts again tomorow, for the third time! Facing us are five hard days in the saddle, before we can even think about rolling in to Paris. Five days, in which - I promise - to fight to the bitter end. Five days, in which I will seek out chances to attack. I will only be satisfied when I can look at my image in the mirror after each stage, and say: "You gave it everything today:"

Maybe the yellow jersey is out of reach now, but there are still two more places on the podium to be decided. What's to stop me getting on the podium? Nothing - I'll take a day-to-day approach to things and try, as much as possible, to get up there. Let's see where this approach brings me.

Today, I am enjoying the laid-back mood and the picture-book surroundings of our team hotel "Manior de la Roseraie". The pleasant environment helps me relax and prepare mentally for the rest of the Tour.

Physically it has been an easy day. After an hour on the stationary bike, I went for a 60 minute training spin. Then my physio Birgit Krohme was waiting for me, ready to put her "magic hands" to work, getting the lactic acid out of my muscles. These two hours transform me. It's not just the muscles that benefit, but my mental well-being also.

Sure, I am unlikely now to meet the expectations of all my fans in this Tour. But believe me; coping with that is the hardest thing for me! I came to this Tour with one ultimate goal. That's unlikely now, but I can still try to turn things around.

I am encouraged by the fact that I know all the Alpine mountain passes we will be crossing really well. I know where I can attack on the climbs. Now I just need my legs to respond. Let's see how it goes!

Until tomorrow,

Jan