View Single Post
Old 10-06-07, 08:41 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Great stories so far. I'm glad bmclaughlin had the great idea to start this thread.

I was born in 1955. By the time I was a teenager, I was into the counterculture pretty heavy. I decided not to get a car at the traditional age because I was concerned about pollution and the greenhouse problem. Also, I was heavily influenced by Thoreau and believed that cars were basically a form of slavery and reliance on the industrial system. I hitchhiked all over the US and Canada--great trips (in every sense of the word ). I also spent time in Europe, traveling by bike, train and thumb. More great trips!

I finally settled down in Jackson, MI and remained basically carfree, although I did own cars from time to time. I worked hard and saved enough money to continue traveling every year, including a few cross-country driving trips. I drove 80 miles round-trip to college, my only super-long commute ever. After college I went to grad school in East Lansing and eventually settled down in nearby Lansing, where I still live 20 years later. I've had a car for less than half the time I've lived in Lansing, and was carfree the rest of the time. Usually I walked, bused and used taxis and friends' cars. I've worked on inpatient psychiatric units for most of my career, and still do.

In 2000 I had a heart attack and made a good recovery. I lost over 100 pounds and began exercising seriously. My first exercise was walking. I commuted on foot, about 7 miles round trip at the time. I still enjoy walking as a respite for my muscles from riding so much.

One day, about five years ago, it suddenly occurred to me (a blaze of light in the middle of the road) that cycling would be a quicker way to travel, while still getting exercise and remaining carfree. I bought a terrible old mountain bike for $40 (way more than it was worth, I now know) and just started riding it. I hadn't cycled in about 20 years, but like they say, you never forget how. I fell a lot in my first couple years, including one very serious crash. By now I'm a pretty decent rider and If I fall now, it's kinda on purpose. It took me about four months to get up the courage to commute 7 miles round trip, but I finally did it. I rode that crappy bike for a couple more months, without lights even though I get out of work at 11:30 PM.

The first good bike I bought was an old Specialized Hardrock (like Artkansas) for about $100. That great bike lasted a couple years until it was stolen. I still prefer hardtail MTBs for most of my riding, although I have a couple vintage Fuji road bikes that I ride occasionally. I ride about 100 miles a week, all year round. I love all the seasons on my bike.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 10-06-07 at 08:48 PM.