Old 10-07-07, 12:11 PM
BlueWhale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride to go fast, far, or enjoy the company?

I read about some of the tandem teams here and I feel like I wish I had the time to put into training to go faster, the time to be able to ride further, but if I can't have those, I only hope to at least enjoy the company.

I bought the tandem with hopes of having my wife be my stoker, and we'd tow our son on his trail-a-bike. It did not happen that way, due to some concerns my wife has that no amount of encouragement on my part will resolve.

So these revelations on the part of my would-not-be stoker, left me with a stoker candidate who I'm more than willing to enlist. My son. He'll be six in February. The bike is now set up to fit him, and he and I ride togther as often as we can. We don't go that fast. It's a tandem that is not very light, but really comfortable. No butt pain, no neck and wrist pain. Ever. The weight means we're not going all that fast, and I just put Schwalbe Big Apples on it so now were going even a little less fast, but we're comfy and stable doing it. So, if we pack enough juice and snacks, we can go as far as his boredom threshold will allow. I told my wife I want to take our son out on a group ride and go with the C class people. They average about 14-15 maybe? 40-50 miles, tops. I was thinking that with other riders engaging us, providing some inspiration to keep going, that he might be into it. Maybe when he's a little older. Or if I can find a way to hang a DVD player on my back. She reminds me that my enthusiam for things is not always letting me see the level of enthusiasm of those I seek to involve... what if my boy's just not that into it either.

I read the stories here about the epic rides, long day rides, couples hammering roadies... building bikes lighter and faster, updates, upgrades, new bikes altogether, and I wish that I had that with my wife, but she said someday when she's retired and our son is grown, and we have more time on our hands she'll consider it. Until then she will indulge my need to ride as a family by riding her own bike with us over to the park or on the bike path. Alrighty then. My son and I will be enjoying our time together and that's really a great thing. Together we're Team Blue Whale, and we may not be fast, or go very far, but we're enjoying each other's company.

Last edited by BlueWhale; 10-07-07 at 12:21 PM.