View Single Post
Old 10-08-07, 11:23 PM
Specialized fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
If you live in a medium-sized or large city, it's not really practical to have a car. You don't even have to consider societal effects. Just from a purely self-centered point of view, dealing with cars in an urban area just isn't practical. They're expensive to own and operate, parking is a pain in the ass, you have to spend a lot of time cleaning and maintaining them, and they depreciate almost instantly. Not having a car frees up a lot of money, that you can use to live in a more pleasant neighborhood, travel more, further your education, or just drink better beer in larger quantities. The idea that one has to own a car is the greatest fraud ever foisted upon modern man, that is, if you live in a city. If you live in rural Nebraska, a car isn't such a bad idea.

And another thing: for the sake of argument, let's say you do live in a city, but you have a family with kids, and don't have the desire to figure out how to live without any cars at all, so you decide a car is something you want. Okay, but does your family really need more than one? Doesn't it make more sense to use the money you would've spent on the second car to save for the kids' college? (I'm reminded of the family who lost their home because they bought two SUVs, and to make the car payments, decided to refinance the house with an ARM.)
Some people are just financially irresponsible and live beyond their means, am ARM is the dumbest scam you could ever fall into next to reverse mortgage. I have lived without a car for many years and now I have 2 cars and an SUV and I wouldn't go back as when it is freezing cold or 100* outside, that climate control with remote start is sure nice, in fact I looking at a Cadillac CTS for the wife, so basically simple living, been there done that, and it sucked and not going back, as I think it is a form of self abuse in my opinion.