Old 10-09-07, 06:14 AM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm trying not to be locked into those measurements, but I figure they are good starting points. Yesterday, I messed with the bike on the trainer. Didn't take long to find out my issue: I had set the seat too high (about 1.5cm, maybe 2), but my hips were not rocking. Instead, my ankle would toe down quite readily on the bottom of the stroke--hence, my issues with my calves of late. After sliding the seat back (not the same as a setback seatpost, but that was recommended by one of the sites), and then setting the height to 18.5%, I took a ride. Maybe marginally faster, but overall similar, except I finally got something of a workout in my thighs--in 660 miles, starting as a noob, I've never had sore thighs, until yesterday. But my calves for once aren't bothering me, and I can walk today.

I'm going to look for a different stem; I pulled mine up 1cm past the max (which is to say, 1cm higher than before), and it's now about 2cm below the saddle. Hard to say if it's alot better or not; but I can tell I really want another. Have started shopping for that. But first I'll probably have to figure out the head tube angle and see what kind of reach I want to aim for (other than "shorter").

As for tires, I've been running 27x1 1/4 (32mm wide), at 90psi they are a bit rough, but ok. Can definately feel the flat spot at high speeds (rim has a flat spot). At 60psi they are quite smooth though.