View Single Post
Old 10-10-07, 10:35 AM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoLes
I usually find Sheldon Brown's advise to be dead on. I have to disagree with him here. In the picture he shows the lock attached to the rear wheel only.
He says that's all that's needed.

Maybe he is showing old pictures of early-generation U-locks, but my U-lock is wide enough to encompass the rear wheel and the lower area of the seat tube. It is also long enough to accompodate placing the front wheel alongside the rear one. This would be the BEST way to lock everything up in my opinion.
In your case, yes, because you need to fill the space between the lock shackles to prevent the lock from being leveraged apart with a jack. Speaking of leveraging, however, some bike thieves use the bike frame itself as a lever to force the lock apart. With a cheap u-lock, the lock breaks. With a good u-lock, the frame breaks. That's why Sheldon shows the lock securing the rear wheel only.

I would avoid those thin cable locks. The can be easily cut with bolt cutters.
Yes, they are cut VERY easily.

Many bikes come with quick release seat posts. If I had one, I would mark my setting and remove it along with anything else that can potentially be removed by someone else, stick it in a backpack and leave only the locked remains.
Yes, that is another target for thieves. Either remove and secure the front wheel and seat, or use pitlocks.