View Single Post
Old 10-10-07, 04:01 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bent-not-broken
I have commuted 5 miles each way through the last 2 central WI winters. I ride an old 21 speed GT mountain bike with Nashbar studded tires. I have expeienced the frozen freewheel, as well as iced up brakes and derailers, but I would not give up my ability to change gears. I would not want to deal with winter winds and sloppy roads on a single speed. I appreciate the lower top bar of the mt bike when I need to bail out in the sloppy snow. Winter commuting is a different kind of satisfaction than that summer road bike commute. There are many days I dread slogging along with those heavy tires, but I think about what a great work out I get.

I bought a set of 700c nashbar studded tires for my allweather commuter (21 speed flat bar touting) as an alternative to the mt bike and will see if that makes the going any easier. I know there are a lot of ss advocates but not I!

Bent
I appreciate the post. I live in Minneapolis and while I've had some drive train issues in the winter, it's mostly been problems with the Front Derailleur seizing up. The rear derailleur's been fine and the freehub has been reliable. The biggest problem has been maintenance, - keeping the chain clean and lubed.