Old 10-11-07, 09:20 AM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pismocycleguy
Between the Dahon Jetstream and the Downtube FS, which would be the best for a 200 pound 6'2" rider?
Which has the stiffest, non-flexing frame? Which comes with the most standard, non-proprietry, components?

Thanks for your opinions and facts.
PCG
I'm a smaller rider, but can feel some flex in my 2007 FS. This is the first bike I've ever felt any in, so it's not like I'm particularly sensitive to it. The whole suspension tuning isn't bad, but isn't great, either. Maybe that's asking a little too much for a folder with a teeny, tiny little damper on it. If I were the designer, I'd probably have just gone with an elastomer.

After changing shifter, derailler, front chainring, crankset and chain, I'm pretty happy with my bike, but by doing that much work, it's not so much of a bargain anymore. Before I did these changes, I had to deal with inadvertant shifts and thrown chains all the freakin' time. Since I've done the work, I don't think it's thrown the chain once. I have a 53 tooth chainring, but I'd probably recommend a 50. It folds up pretty small (not microscopic or anything, but small enough to throw in a car trunk easily).

If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the hardtail. I did take my FS off-road, but only long enough for a good crash. How often do you have to take a folder on a trail so nasty that you _have_ to have rear suspension? I also would have given the Mini a lot closer look. I probably also would have given some of the more expensive bikes a closer look. Having said all this, I still think the FS is a good bike and worth what you pay for it, but it isn't the end all / be all in biking.