Old 10-13-07, 05:38 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai

I got sent to a cardiologist in January for a recumbent stress test.
Sent? Well, OK, no... I asked for the referral. I wanted to know if I was at risk from the effort I was putting out during my rides.
Anyway, I had a stress echo done and when I hit 166, the cardio shut it down because my BP hit a level of concern... I think it was something like 205/170 or 180-something. Before that, I would routinely push and hold 175bpm or more. Of course, now, during efforts where I used to hit 175, I'm hitting 160 or so, so were I to have a retest, do I think I'd do better and get that limit raised? Sure, I think so but until I do get retested, I'm just going with the program. Yeah, this stuff works.The last three visits to my internist had BP readings that he'd never see me get to. And he puts it all on my riding. I'm accomplishing things he told me I would never do. It feels good to prove him wrong.
And I will bet you that your BP under stress has gone way down!

What a great post! And where you live, you are FORCED to do hills, which, while you may initially hate it, is the fastest way to get into hill climbing shape! Great stuff.