View Single Post
Old 10-13-07, 10:59 AM
careya123

Bikes: Trek 7500 hybrid (hate it); currently ride my roommate's Trek 4300 mtn bike for commuting; next bike: road bike (for fun)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinninwheels
Oh my god...I've become a tree hugger.
+1
I've always heard people talk about saving the environment, but it didn't start clicking until a few years ago when I started carpooling with a serious environmentalist. I rolled my eyes at all her talk, but it was sinking in regardless. Then gas prices skyrocketed and I got really angry at what it was doing to my wallet even though I've lived car lite for several years (carpooling, sharing a car, living close to work). Having spent a lot of time thinking about the book Your Money or Your Life, I decided that the cost of a car didn't give me a corresponding amount satisfaction. So I started thinking about commuting by bike which led to lurking on this website which led to a change of heart about the environment.

So I bought a bike this last spring, hated it the few times I made myself ride it, used the bus all summer, and just found out (boy, do I feel stupid) that my rear brakes have been clamped down all my rear tire the entire time. (No, I don't know anything about bikes except where you sit and where you pull the little levers to slow down.) It's getting fixed today. Last week I started riding my friend's bike to work and now it's as fun as I'd hoped it would be. This will be my first winter riding and I'm excited and petrified.

Just a comment, though--I see comments about the riding "season" being over. As far as I'm concerned, it just started. It's been 100 degrees here for too long and I'd much rather ride in 50 degrees.