DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by pel-o-ton
Well yes, I guess they did 'sell out'. BUT, they did allow 200 - 300 people to register day of, even though they claim to have no day of registration.
That's really unfortunate -- I'll have to pass your comments on. I rode the 60-mile route, leaving right after 7AM, so I hit the return ferry about 11:30 when it was just getting busy with a lot of 40-milers and had about a 30-minute wait at immigration. The bikes create about 10x the number of people coming through that station, so you'd think the govt could staff it up a bit since they've known about this event for 25 years!

For what it's worth, since passports will be a requirement at the border next year, they're considering having the 40-mile route all on the U.S. side so people can ride the event without having a passport (the lunch stop would then have to be moved to that side). Might make sense, but it seems to me that most people in this area would be getting a passport anyway since visiting Canada is a pretty common thing to want to do.