Old 10-16-07, 01:43 PM
Indolent58
Queen of France

Bikes: Look 565, Trek 2120

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got back from the ER. Another edition of Indolent's Stupid Human Tricks. One the return leg of my morning ride I thought I heard something sticking to my front tire. I decided to brush it off with my glove as always, but this time I decided to reach down behind the fork rather than in front of the fork. Predictably enough when my hand made contact with the tire it was pushed into the back of the fork where the spokes proceeded to shred my right ring finger. Luckily enough I am left handed. Blood sprayed everywhere and little bits of I-don't-want-to-know were left sticking to the bike. Once again, luckily enough the blood went quite well with the black/red color scheme of the Look. I didn't go down. I stopped, wrapped my hand in my white optik vest and called Tracie to pick me up. The final damages include 12 stitches, a finger splint and a small fracture.

In weak defense of my stupidity, the reaching behind the wheel thing was not my own idea. One of the SDBC ride leaders showed everyone how to brush debris off a front wheel by the same method. Of course he reached down far behind the fork where this kind of thing would never happen, but I choose to blame him anyway.

Last edited by Indolent58; 10-25-07 at 12:08 PM.