discosaurus
i like mud

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX WSD, beaters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitram
So, as carfree peoples, your body is your engine.....how do you keep it in good condition, clean, and ready to deliver day in/day out?

Since being carfree (a few weeks now) i've had days where i just didnt feel like riding.....

How do you 'psyche' yourself into getting into the saddle when in that kinda mood?

Its funny, i'll leave home and feel awful....5 minutes into the ride, i'm loving it!

All i do to take care of my body is to stretch regularly.....any tips?

What about diet...has it changed at all for you?

This leads into the next question....what is your riding style like?
How do I take care of my body? Ride my bike!

If I don't feel like riding (which hasn't happened once since I moved this summer) I just walk instead. Or I ride my other bike. I live less than a mile from anything I need, so I have the luxury of that option. When the weather starts sucking, I'll probably be walking more.

Stretching is so important. I don't bother stretching immediately after a ride unless it's particularly hard or long. But I do a nightly yoga practice which I've been doing since long before getting back into cycling. If I don't do it, I wake up the next morning all stiff and achy, especially if I've ridden a lot that day.

As for diet, I pretty much eat what I want, including diner food once or twice a week and 5 cafeteria meals a week. Otherwise, I eat pretty well--all whole grains, fresh or raw foods, and almost all organic. Sometimes it just comes down to getting enough calories, fat, or protein, but usually my diet is balanced enough that I don't have to worry about it. I'm pretty in tune with my body, so I can always tell when I'm missing something. I also take vitamin supplements, which might be overkill, but I can't mess around when it comes to nutrition. I take a cal-mag-d (family history of osteoporosis), b-complex (i don't eat meat), and vitamin c in the winter when I get no fresh fruits or veggies every other day. On the other days I take a standard multivitamin.

My riding style is laid back. I don't ride hard, fast, or long. Sometimes if I have energy to burn, I hammer up hills or kick the gear up to 48/11 and see how long it takes me to wear out. I don't keep track of distance or time, but I estimate I ride well over 100 miles a week, mostly broken up into short rides (my 0.8 mile commute or 1.2 mile grocery shopping) and a few longer 15-20 mile rides, just for fun.