Old 07-26-04, 12:43 AM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a friend of mine who jumped on his bike and rode in part of the Tour De Georgia, he was riding along with 2 Jittery Joes guys who had been dropped on a climb and were just trying to get to the finish. He rode up the hill with them for a few miles, and took pictures, of them, tried to make small talk, and basically wore out his welcome pretty fast. They were tired from the previous days double stage. It was funny though.

Then at the start in Athens, I snuck behind the barriers with a big 500mm lens, and was standing next to a TV crew to try and blend in. My teamates pointing and laughing didnt help. I didn't get tossed, but i was questioned a few times. Another buddy of mine who had raced in the USCF events that morning had rolled in there after me and was hanging around the back of the group, with his number still on, right before they rolled off. He was going to roll off with them, and I was going to get a few snaps of him.

We were counting on the fact that the volunteers were mostly college kids, and had no idea who was a pro and who wasn't. about 10 seconds before the gun, an official comes over and says "I hope youre not planning on rolling of with the race" damn, foiled!

See, now that Lance and cycling are getting bigger here in the U.S, its a bit harder to gain access. Next year I'm going to make fake press passes that are so good, the real press is going to be questioned by security, because their passes will look cheap and fake.

The Olympics in 1996 was real loose. The Volunteers had no idea who was who. I remember walking on the course towards the start finish, really early in the morning. We were told to get off, and get on the other side of the fence. Riders were warming up, Chris Boardman, Indurain, Max Sciandri, Brunyeel, Jalabert, Zulle etc...

Then I see a couple of local riders, and a guy in his 50's The Volunteers are clapping and waving at them too. These guys are out on the course, while the pros are warming up!!!

MAN I WISHED I HAD BROUGHT MY BIKE!!

This was before the LA phenom, and of course 9/11. We got 17 laps to see these guys, all the big names we grew up watching on TV and most never before seen in the USA. My friend Ozzy got a picture of Indurain signing a cap for his son. Cool stuff! and so so so easy to get up close and personal.

For those of you who didn't follow cycling, Lance had broken away solo with a few too many laps to go, as was usual for him back then, he lacked patience. We cheered him up the hill like mad. My Buddy Herm is like 6'6" and built like a brick shet house. Herm was running up the hill next to him saying "feel the rage lance, feel the rage!" With the contacts I've made in this sport, I'm pretty sure I'll get to meet Lance one day, and I will ask him if he remembers this crazy caveman friend of mine. He was caught and dropped by Max Sciandri, Pascal Simon, and Rolf Sorenson. Frankie Andreau tried to bridge to the leading group of three, but didn't make it and ended up 4th. The next day Indurain won the time trial, and I got to meet Eddy Merckx. I have some photos I can post, but I will have to scan them in, as they are not digital.

Lance was diagnosed just a few months later, and It is truely amazing that he was ranked number 6 in the world, off the front, trying to win the gold medal, with those tumors in his lungs.

Last edited by Smoothie104; 07-26-04 at 03:18 AM.