Old 10-19-07, 06:45 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss Moniker
A CF fork on a metal frame might save the rest of the frame in a crash because it fails quicker. This is somewhat important if your metal frame is very valuable. Having a CF fork and stem makes a big difference on certain aluminum bikes that ride harshly. I know, I ride an old Al C'dale R500 that has straight seatstays, non-ovalized tubes, and an Al fork. Can I still ride it? Yes, but I tend to think a CF fork would make it at least slightly more comfortable. Also, if you want to build an extremely stiff frame, as are valued in track racing, CF is a decent choice because you can get thick tube walls without increasing weight too much.
Interesting points. But this one I quote, is kinda... funny. A carbon fork is better because it will fail quicker? A big WTF to that. I mean, if your front wheel goes, you go - down. And having your front fork fail kinda affects the position of the front wheel...

Regarding lightness: as I already said, visit the loo and there goes the difference in weight.

That said, I can aprecciate the things you discuss, as a point of view CF cyclists might have.

By the way, I really do notice the (only) Al-framed bike I have (now somewhat dismantled) rides more harshly than any of my steel framed bikes. Yes, I know tyres make the biggest difference, but I'm talking at parity of tyres.