Old 10-20-07, 11:42 AM
v6v6v6

Bikes: Dahon Mu SL, KHS Mocha w/BionX PL350

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need advice with bike/commute

Hi, new to the site and to bikes, in general...

I just started a new job in the LA area and I'm trying to figure out options for commuting. If I were to drive the whole way, it'd take around 45 min (during off-peak hours) to an hour-and-a-half (during rush hour). The problem with driving during off-peak hours is that I have to leave either very early (6am) or very late (10am).

Mass transit is an option because the stops are very convenient to where I live/work. The first leg (15 mi) is via the train which takes around 30 min. The problem is the second leg (10 mi) via bus which can take over an hour even without heavy traffic.

It's this 10 mile stretch where I'm considering riding a bike (but I'll obviously be traveling with it the whole way).

So I've looked at the Dahon line of folding bikes and I'd like to pair it with the BionX motor kit.

1) How long do you think this 10 mile stretch would take? I've noticed they have bike lanes on the major roads, but the fact that's it's through the heart of LA makes me wonder how easy it'll be.

2) What's an appropriate Dahon model? I've had my eye on the Dahon Mu SL which weighs in at just 20 lbs. but seems expensive at just under $1000. I don't mind spending the money if it's going to make my overall ride better, though.

Thanks very much--I look forward to your opinions!