View Single Post
Old 10-20-07, 06:11 PM
dwainedibbly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moose: Correct. Its the stack height that interests me. Thanks for clarifying.

Ultraman: the problem with putting a 130mm hub on this frame is that it's aluminum and glued together and doesn't take well to spreading. We're talking about old equipment here, so I really don't want to tempt fate by forcing the dropouts farther apart, even 4mm. The conventional wisdom says not to do it and while I often don't abide by it, I'm going to trust it this time.

Nasbar? No, this NOS frame was on ebay. It sat in a shop in the UK, built up, but never ridden (or so it was claimed). It arrived last week (in 4 days, transatlantic!) and is nearly perfect. Still has the original warranty tags, and the seller included a seatpost, Mavic stem & taped bars, modolo aero brake levers, and a mavic bottom bracket. He even included the brake cables. I'm suspecting the other parts were sold off individually. My wife got it for me as a surprise and probably paid too much, but considering the extras and condition of the frame, I'm not going to complain. Hey! She was trying to do something nice for me, right?

Nashbar had some 60cm NOS frames in pink a couple of years ago. Pink doesn't bother me, but a 60 is too large.

I'll probably use 10-speed indexed bar-end shifters, but I'm considering brifters, too, for this new (to me) frame. They're just SO expensive or there would be no question.

I will post pictures when it's complete, but this is a "take your time" build, so it'll be quite some time before it's finished.

Also, I also have another 979 that I bought new in 1985 or 1986, from Nashbar. It's 8 of 9 on 7 with 9-speed DA downtube shifters. I rode it today on a 56 mile club ride and it was great. I quit riding for 15 years or so and gained quite a bit of weight (getting back into cycling seriously now), so I'll admit that I'm a little nervous about riding any bonded frame until I get my weight down to 170 or so.