View Single Post
Old 10-20-07, 09:01 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Part I

Mine arrived a few days ago (It had to be sent to family in the states and then re-mailed). Like said, it is small. It is easily removable from the clear, plastic, case that provided the weather and water protection.

It is simple to use and I didn't need to use the manual to begin with it. I did need the manual to make a rather odd change. There is a setting for use in countries that have 50hz power. this is odd because there is no provision for the use of external power. I expect that it had to do with scan rate. I can say that my indoor photos looked a lot better after making the change.

There are only two operation buttons. The first is on, and hold for off, the second is the shutter release (of course, as a digital camera, there is no real shutter to release). The on Button also cycles through the modes.

1. Single photo
2. Three shot sequence
3. Video
4. Self timer of about 10 seconds
5. delete all pictures
6. Delete last picture
7. Settings
a. hold function, this allows the camera to return to the last mode used when it is turned on
b. power Fr setting for locals with 50hz power
c. ntsc/pal setting
d. auto power off setting selectable from 60, 120, 300 seconds, and off

That is it.

the status led is in the view finder. There is also a status light on the front of the camera. On the front is also a small LCD that reports how many photos have been taken. It does not count down, it only counts up. It stand to mention that the counter counts a video as a single picture; so, a single "picture" could fill the entire card.

The LCD also has a battery status indicator and an indicator informing the user that there is a SD card inserted (as if I can't just look at the SD card slot and see that there is something in it). On the subject of the SD card, ther card and the USB socket are on opposite sides of the camera and have no covers (other than the waterproof cover that comes with the camera). In case you were not clear on this point, it uses AAA batteries, two of them.

So, how good are the pictures. Well, from a camera like this there are no real expectations of great photos. They are better than those taken with a cell phone camera but in no way comparable to a dedicated camera (I use a Fuji s5000 as a comparison) The poor light photos were poor. I general, it compares to the early digital cameras that were on the market. I am not bothered by this as I can use other cameras for times I want a better picture. this camera fits in my watch pocket and will meet the basic need for a small, always with me camera. ANY camera will take better pictures than the camera that you didn't take with you because it was too big.

The videos look okay. I will post some soon, I strapped it to my handle bars before my commute today; however, I am having trouble getting yo youtube, I will post the pictures later. As far as the strap, it is usable but is realy intended for use as a wrist strap and will not easily adapt to smaller things like a handle bar.

The video pictures were what one would expect from a camera like this, suitable for youtube and other web use, you are not gong to film a major action flick with it. License plates are only clear enough to read when you are within three to four meters of them.

Before purchasing, I contacted gopro and this is part of the letter I received from them

We've been developing our camera non-stop as this is all we do...make these cameras. Our sound is EXCELLENT and our video is blessed with great clarity and color saturation. Our camera is not much bigger than a small book of wooden matches and it is waterproof to 100' (the Oregon is waterproof to 10'). Our camera shoots terrific 3MP stills, triple shot burst (3 photos in 2 seconds), and has a "Photo every 5 seconds" mode for hands free photos with the ease of video...only they are photos! On fully charged NiMH batteries you can shoot for over 2hrs...that's 1400+ photos when using the "photo every 5 second" mode on just 2 AAAs!
As far as I can see, there is no provision, whatsoever, for recording sound. There is also NO "Photo every 5 seconds" mode for hands free photos. It simply is not there.