Old 10-21-07, 12:11 AM
filtersweep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You really have a chip on your shoulder about this. I am pro-motorist and pro-bicycle--- and I even WALK places (as transportation). Can those concepts coexist exist? I certainly do not believe cars will be outlawed from the road anytime soon. I bike to work--- all year long-- no matter what the weather. I bike because I like to. There is no dogmatic reason behind it other than it keeps me in shape. I have a massive carbon footprint because I fly so much. In my perfect world we would only have planes and bikes--- but that will never happen.

How is it that you make the leap in your argument "against" John about bikes on freeways? You are likely digging up an irrelevant reference from another post.

Do you really believe that two miles is some magic distance that will change people's behaviors? When I lived in the US, I commuted 20 miles each way-- by bike. Even that took marginally more time than driving in heavy rush hour traffic.

The real issues regarding cycling advocacy really have nothing to do with building a supporting infrastructure in the US. The issues center on how car-centric attitudes are. I could write a lengthy rant at the absurdities in the US in this area-- ranging from extremely lax drinking and driving laws, extreme ease in obtaining drivers licenses, how little actual training is associated with licensing, the fact that a basic license entitles someone to drive up to a 13 ton vehicle, low gas and vehicle taxes, no vehicle safety inspections, the epidemic of speeding, the proliferation of road rage, lack of disincentives to drive fuel efficient vehicles, lack of public transportation, and on and on and on.

Originally Posted by Bekologist
that is rich, john.

It's readily apparant you are pro-motorist and anti-bicyclist. maybe you've slipped so far you cannot see it yourself.

Do you mind telling us when banning bicyclists from 'freeways' for the conveinence of motorists isn't going to be enough for your buddies over at the ADC?

Can you share the timetable for when unveil your master plan to ban bicyclists from all high-speed roads for the conveinence of motorists?