Old 10-21-07, 06:13 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Ouch, Yeah that brings back painful memories. Yes, I had pieces of wood attached to my 26" Baronia. My mom was so frugal, she decided I only needed one bike in my life. So at the age of 8, my folks purchased a full sized bike. My uncle kindly taught me how to ride. But it was a losing proposition. I couldn't stop the bike unless I was near a curb so I could touch the ground. I needed the blocks on the pedals and the seat all the way down. Any attempt to stradle the top tube was severely painful After several accidents and almost being hit by a car, my dad took the bike away and borrowed a girls 20" bike from my cousin. By the time I was 11, I was back on the 26 incher, without the blocks.

With my kids, each went through several bikes, some new some used. But I refused to let them ride a bike that was too large. It's way too dangerous.