View Single Post
Old 10-21-07, 10:49 AM
dirtbikedude
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will not tell you what to use. Rather I will give ya a suggestion and let you know what I use for pressures.

Suggestion, if you have stiff sidewalls on the tire I would say drop the psi 25%. If the tires have a soft sidewall then I would say 20% drop in psi. This would be a starting point and riding style/terrain would dictate where to go from there.

These are current psi readings, I am at 285 right now and when I get back to race weight (235-245) I will drop the PSI 3 more pounds. The terrain I ride varies from hardpack with loose top coat and some slick rock with deep gravel in some of the creek beds. Oh yeah, I have not had a pinch flat in 6yrs.

My 2.1 xc tires are run at 34fr/36rr (suggested 50psi/MAX 65psi)

My 2.5 freeride tires are run at 30fr/32rr (suggested 29/MAX 36)

My 2.3 DH tires are run at 26fr/29rr (suggested 36/MAX 65)

How I determine those pressures, I start at 25% of max and ride a section. I then adjust the pressures accordingly, meaning, if the front pushed to much or the rear drifted I would lower the psi. If the bike railed through the corners but would not roll well on the flats I would raise the psi. Then just do the procedure over and over until I was happy with the results.

Granted, I did this years ago and still run the same type of tires so I know what I need when I swap 'em out.

DBD