cavernmech
Jonnys ilegitimate Father

Bikes: too many too list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
It's my understanding that even if you are that capable of a repair person...there is no spare part availability for these components. (Unless, of course, you buy more and scavenge them...)
It took me 6 months to get the 2 $5 tools that are recommended by Shimano. I had a bunch of old ones in various states of dis-repair and wanted to get a few apart...and try to fix em. I was successful in getting it apart and finding the problematic bits, but getting the required parts from Shimano is next to impossible. I know what the part numbers are. They have em listed in one of my distributors catalogues but I have been waiting for years to get anything from them. Make it appear from the tech manuals that it can be serviced..just don't make any small parts available. I have even managed to get one back together with the same parts albeit with the same problems as it had. Any year Campy ergo I can get all the springs and cams for..including upgrade to 10sp from 9. This is why after working on these systems since the first generation, I far prefer and recommend Campy to my customers.