View Single Post
Old 10-22-07, 12:10 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Newbie here...
This is a great thread for vintage frame owners...and especially inspiring for this fellow VITUS 979 owner.
I built mine back in '87, the frame/fork and headset from Performance.
Mine is Rose, or pink. I have no problem with that, I picked it. I think the anodizing looks great.
Sadly it got about 200 miles of use before it was hung up in a garage for storage the last 20 years.
This was due to work, then college out of state, then came the women, the career, the marriage, the dot.com bust, the divorce, the midlife crisis.

My weight climbed alarmingly in the 90s to 195 lbs from 155 when I rode the Vitus. I got too heavy for it.

It took my company to go under plus a painful divorce simultaneously to make me rediscover my love of cycling. Fat and in a bad funk, health failing, I dusted off a 1980 Nashbar steel bike I first built in HS, updated it with some clipless pedals. I took my first ride in years. Excited, clumsy and weak, I took a 5-8 mile ride of various grades. I marveled at the clipless pedals, but after the last small climb back home, I collapsed and passed out, feeling like I was having a stroke.
I guess it wasn't wise to do what I did at 40!
Well, I recovered and went on to ride that whole summer. Never felt so good in 10 years. I was down to a fighting weight of 160 lbs. I can now safely ride my Vitus!
I bought a Kestrel carbon fork and plan to install it on her, for just the very reason given above. I'll put that AL fork away for safe keeping. The bike will come out on special days. I don't want to fatigue it or risk crashing it. A Trek 1000 Alpha AL is being assembled with parts for a daily beater.

Here's a few old pics of my Rosie (the girl I had a crush on in grade school was named Rose) as she hung from the ceiling for 20 years.

Last edited by WNG; 02-15-08 at 06:49 AM. Reason: pic links moved