Old 07-28-04, 12:31 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's hard to tell if your frustration is more with the "comfort addiction" or with your "Friends, colleagues and family members. I would venture to say that everyone in this country as well as most other flourishing countries, is addicted to comfort. I would even venture to say that most people in third world countries as well as many animals are addicted to at least the pursuit of comfort.

The difference is that here in the USA, we have mastered the art of "comfort." We have taken comfort to new levels that in a nutshell is pretty incredible. I'm typing on a laptop that is connected to a wireless router and i can carry it anywhere in my house and access the net. That is pretty comfortable and i like it. I also like my remote control lighting, surveillance cameras, and yes, even my deck and sprinkler system. The air conditioning, running water, electricity, soft bed, carpet and other items are nice too.

The pursuit of comfort is what drives beings to do better and work harder. We just happen to be at a time and place in history where the hard work of previous people has placed us in a place of comfort. I for one am greatful because i don't think there is anything wrong with being comfortable.

THat is what brings me back to my original point. I think you are more frustrated by the fact that your friends and family are trying to pressure you into doing something that they feel is important. They think that the sprinkler system and big deck and stuff is what you need because that makes them feel better about having the same values. It is a lot like peer pressure. However, it is probably rare that you try and pressure them into cycling. They would likely just laugh and call you a nut.

I know where you are coming from. I used to get a lot more of that crap than i do now. Now after a period of time it seems like people are accepting my cycling compulsion. At family get togethers i used to get a lot of jabs and seemingly made fun of. This last week we got together at a siblings for a swimming weekend. This time was different. I don't know if it was the fact that i looked lean and mean in the swim trunks (i have to admit that it wasn't hard to tell who is the cyclist in the pool) or the fact that i brought my bike along this time and they saw me ride.

I think it might be the latter, because two of them did humble me and go for a ride with me. My 16 year old nephew, who is in good shape rode the entire 25 miles with me. It was hard to go slow enough for him to keep up but i tried. He got a real good appreciation for what i do every day.

Anyway, it must have made an impression, because i talked to my sister 4 days later and she said everyone had been riding their bikes. My other nephew that is 17, wasn't even around or paying attention (or so i thought) all weekend but my sister said he had ridden 10 miles every day. I never even knew he was watching me.

Anyway, i don't think that "comfort addiction" has much to do with cycling or not cycling. I think it has a lot more to do with simple laziness or the desire or lack thereof to exercise.