Old 10-23-07, 01:55 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
Hey, all. I'm fixing up a Peugeot mixte for my girlfriend -- around 1980, I think; maybe a little older? -- and I definitely need to replace the freewheel and both derailleurs (possibly the chainrings as well). I want to keep it as a 10-speed, and I want to do it cheap (say, around $60 or less), but to end up with a good, reliable ride. I'd buy either new or used parts from any era. What would you recommend as the best freewheel and derailleurs for the job?

Thanks,

Brian
My LBS had new 6 speed hyperglide freewheels for $15.00. I think sunrace makes compatible 6 speed indexed shifters you can find for about the same. If you can find an LBS with a good supply of used parts you may be able to get an early SIS shimano derailleur, a front deraileur, and possibly used rear wheel already properly spaced and not go much over $60.

I did this with my wife's bike. In her case I wanted shimano shifters that could be used in friction mode as well as indexed and they had to have a tube clamp so I ended up spending $30 (NOS) for those. Otherwise the total cost would been around $70 (not including a new chain which I already had).

Indexing is nice for someone who's never used or was never comfortable with friction shifting.