Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SalminSam
Hi,

I am new here and as there is a lot of information that I have yet to sift through, but I do have some questions.

First I am just getting into the cycling thing, mainly fir fitness and my 5 year old. I am currently about 265 so I am clearly a clyde. I have a Peugeot ISS500 MTB that has sit in my garage for about 15 years, but it is in good shape. In considering a bike, I would go with a hybrid type as would mostly ride on pavement. First off I would like suggestions of a new bike that would fit me and the type of riding I will be doing (fitness non-competitive). Is there a good bike that I could get (Trek FX or Fisher, etc) or would should I go with a build from frame up?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Why not take your old bike, get a tuneup at the LBS, put some smooth tires on it, say around 1¾-2" or 40-50mm wide, ride it for a few months, then decide what you want to do in the spring, probably spend around $100 or so. You want to raise the bars, you want them even or slightly higher then the seat when properly adjusted, this will effectively give you a hybrid. You can then make a better analysis of what you want, and start a "new bike fund"™ to pay for it. It also gives you a few months to look at different types, makes and models, and become a little less clyde like.

I wouldn't do a build up, unless your exactly sure of what parts you want, buildups are usually done when you have some older parts, and want a retro build. Or the components you want, are not available in a commercially available model.