View Single Post
Old 10-24-07, 03:40 PM
flargle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BadBreaks
Is it worthwhile trying to fit in a couple of fairly intense stationary spins in between my training with the group? Would that approach work? Replicating the intensity of the laps we do? Im thinking of doing 20 to 30 mins as hard as I can.
It doesn't make sense to try to replicate what you are already doing with the group. And hammering on a trainer for 20 to 30 minutes is something you can only do once in a while, I mean, if you really go as hard as you can it's an incredibly draining thing to do.

IMO there should be three high-intensity days in a week, a race counting as one of them. Of the other two, one should be geared toward anaerobic intervals, i.e. high intensity, short duration. The other should be geared toward endurance, i.e. tempo, or longer "cruise" intervals. I think this is a pretty standard idea, although the terminology might differ somewhat. Here is somebody else's take on how to structure a week:
http://www.roadcycling.com/cgi-bin/a...view.cgi/4/435

So what I'm saying is, fit your group practices into a coherent training plan that addresses different aspects of race-fitness.

With winter coming, training indoors is simply a reality.