elgalad
Carbon Fiber Bones

Bikes: '07 Scott Speedster S30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by transplant
1) what should i do with weeks 1-8, before base 1 begins, if i'm not going to peak/race until week 29? (damn that's a long time away). just keep riding as i am now and call it transition/prep?
Some threshold work never goes astray at this end of the season. I'd say weeks 1-6 doing some hill repeats at threshold, or some 20 min intervals, assuming you're not feeling burnt out from the season. Then take weeks 7-8 as transition, where you take some time off the bike, and start doing gentle gym work before you hit the gym hard in Base 1.

Originally Posted by transplant
2) is this schedule having me peak too many times too close together? where would a transition week work into this? it seems like everything here in the midwest is clumped together like this.
Hmm, three peaks isn't too much per se, but they are very close together. If it were my training plan, I'd be happier if I ditched the second peak, and threw in some Base 3 after the first peak, before I tried to hit a Build period again. Obviously, those are races that matter to you though, so I might play it by ear. See you how you pull up after your first peak, and decide whether you feel ok to go straight back into Build 2, or if you need to rebuild some base first.

I also use Friel's system, and whilst it is great for planning your training year, the sheer amount of options and information to grasp when you first pick it up can be quite daunting. Don't stress it too much your first season, you'll have a better feel for how your body responds to the system after you race on it for a year.