Old 07-30-04, 03:35 PM
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a nice ride with 20,000 of my closest friends today.

Subject: Had a nice ride with 20,000 of my closest friends today.

R.A.G.B.R.A.I. came through town last night and left this morning, so I decided to tag along for a bit. At one point we came to a very long hill and at the crest I stopped for a minute. As far as I could see forward and backwards,(close to a mile each way) the highway was filled with riders. Dang it, I didn't think to bring a camera, it was really impressive.

I saw about everything imaginable.... the most impressive were these 2 guys riding across Iowa on Hand Cycles. they were obviously paraplegics, but from the waist up they were all steel.

About 1 hour into the ride it started raining. It really didn't diminish the spirit of anyone. There was one scary moment though.... coming down this huge hill with a big sweeping curve thrown in, pouring down rain. Brakes work like crap. I discovered this as I hit thirty mph and quickly accelerated up to 35 while squeezing my brakes for all they are worth. I wasn't so much worried about that, but I had no idea what the two guys in front of me, wearing bunny ears and tails with pink boa's were gonna do.

Just then the lady dressed as a pig started screaming. (She was in front of the Bunny Boys) This set the two bunny boys off and they started screaming.... it was an intense moment. I just started yelling for everyone to hold their line.... luckily they did. (I made it a point to drop the Bunny boys and Miss Piggy after that.)

After about hour 3, I decided to turn around and head for home.... I saw stragglers all the way home. I still don't want to do this ride, but it was interesting, to say the least.