Old 10-28-07, 06:59 PM
ldesfor1@ithaca

Bikes: 2 cdale Caad7. Scatantte CX/winter bike. SS commuter.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
too much base? / what do I do till Dec. 17??

Noob question:

My first road racing season ended Sep 10th.
Based on my racing schedule/crit training series start date, I have selected the week of Dec 17th to begin my base period (base 1).
I plan on using a Friel inspired periodization schedule, I will have 12 weeks base before my build periods start.

My question is this: Should I try harder to stay off the bike over the next 6-7 weeks or should I feel free to do rides every time I please without worry of a less effective training plan?

Currently when i ride I make sure to keep my effort (HR) in the zone 1 and 2 range with only brief glimpses of zone 3. My focus has been on smooth pedaling and bike handling (and fun!)
I commute 50-70 miles per week and have been riding 50-130 miles per week in addition to this commuting. Terrain is rolling with no major climbing. 10-15 hours per week.
Most of my rides over an hour have been on weekends, usually lasting 2.5-3.5 hours.
I've been lifting weights (mainly for core strength/muscle balance/injury prevention) and running 1-2 per week for short distances.
My legs have felt good with no real soreness or fatigue. I feel slow, but not out of shape.
I have been making conscious efforts to keep my intensity as low as possible.

Is this appropriate to maintain as Dec. 17 approaches or should I aim to keep my riding volume lower?