View Single Post
Old 10-29-07, 05:20 PM
viscount
Viscount

Bikes: Mercian, Viscount x2, Holdworth La Quelda, Gundle Trade Bike, Williams/Mercian Tourer, Itera,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pitcanary
Looks in pretty good nick, and a great piece of history. I've really got into the pre war roadsters, especially when you think how many got destroyed for the war effort. The Swift freewheel is class. I'd like to see a photo of the headbadge. I'll post some pics of mine when it is done. Hopefully not to long. I've had the rear hub serviced, I've repainted the frame and forks as it had been done already, and pretty badly. I'm waiting on the bb axle to be repaired. I can't wait to get out on it.
The machine has no head-badge, just decals (Head, seat, down-tube + rear mudguard) and most are poor after 75 years or so!
But here's the head-tube remains:

My interest in yours stems from my previously oldest rescue, which was a ladys 1947 Rudge Sports Superbe.
Lovely machine from the immediate post-war austerity period, even though it was in the Raleigh stable by then.
Always been on the lookout for a pre war example since!
You want to see it?
It's on BF elsewhere but can't see any reason I shouldn't repeat it in a different view here...

Got lots more pics of it if you want to see them.

You from Cov I presume?
I ran the Coventry Cycle Centre (Stoney Stanton Road, by the canal bridge) for a while last year and came across numerous local machines in the process. Pollard, OBrien etc.
But never a Swift!