View Single Post
Old 07-31-04, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I have been out all day, so I wasn't able to address the question, but I will do some supporting research to what the majority of us here are saying. Doing a cursory check of my materials so far, every coach and researcher says weight training done by athletes DOES contribute to increased performance. I am a coach, and I am working towards my USA Cycling license for coaching, but until then, I still have my fitness certifications, and I've attended conventions where very respected researchers and lecturers have all said the same thing- weight train and do cardio for maximum performance.

Since I know Ric does like to see the research and supporting paperwork, I will go through my materials tomorrow and post those, along with names of the people I received my information from. I do believe that Ric is from the Westernized old school-from the days when people just said ride, ride, ride. Nowadays, and especially because of research done lately, the seminars all emphasize a strong periodized program, incorporating weight training and cardiovascular activity to increase performance, whether recreational or elite. We've seen the example here- look at the Lance Chronicles, and in the episode where Lance takes us through his house, he talks about weight training, and he emphasizes that he has every major strength training equipment in his weight training room, and he and Chris Carmichael were talking about how the team comes in and does their weight training in the off season.

It's late, and I need to get to bed. Ric may be a powerhouse that can stay up late, but me... I'm a weakling, and I need my beauty sleep!

Koffee