View Single Post
Old 10-31-07, 06:08 AM
cornucopia72

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TandemGeek
....most of the brake noise would be eliminated under routine conditions if you used the Avid with one of Avid's 203mm rotors. .... also overheated our Avid a few times to the point where the pads outgassed and fade set-in on some similar conditions ....all returned to normal after a few miles of normal use on rolling terrain.
+1

Originally Posted by TandemGeek
As an observation on my on use of the disc I would note that, in retrospect, had I been riding our tandem with dual rim brakes instead of the front rim/rear disc I would have kept the tandem's overall speed much lower on the descent by braking on the fast sections leading up to the corners. However, because I had been using the disc for quite some time before these "events" I found myself letting the tandem run down in towards corners at higher approach speeds and then use near maximum brake force to bring the tandem down to cornering speeds
This has also been our experience.

A step further, the confidence gained by the use of the rear disc brake while descending the sierras, has made us a much more agresive/confident team while descending on a caliper/front - v-brake/rear rim setup.