Old 10-31-07, 07:11 PM
SVOboy

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
STI shifters not shifting

Tried searching, but I couldn't find anything too helpful, might have been searching the wrong stuff...will continue as I have time but I'm a college student so I can't sift through stuff endlessly unless I want to be up all night,

So here's the short: Bought a bike off ebay, took a while to get it here, but it got here all right and I'm pretty happy with it. Had to fix a broken spoke but it rides great, it's my first non-70s schwinn steel, so I'm excited. The problem it does have is that the brifters don't do anything. If I push the hell out of them I can get the big ones to push up towards a bigger ring on both the front and the back, but even then it just falls back. The smaller shifter doesn't do anything.

When I was at the bike shop buying a tube/pump/spoke/spoke wrench the guy told me it was prolly just that the lube in the brifter got old and gunked up. He sprayed some junk in there and then it went from nothing to the little movement it has now. I, of course, want it to shift like it should, so now I need to know what to do.

The bike: Specialized Allez Comp, carbon tubes butted with aluminum. It's in great shape except for this. Triple up front and 7 speed on the back. Brifters are 7speed RSX I believe, everything is shimano 105.

Any ideas? Thanks a bunch everyone!