View Single Post
Old 11-01-07, 12:51 AM
PDXJeff
institutionalized

Bikes: Two old Schwinns, Kona Cinder Cone, Redline MonoCog, Custom (U.B.I.) Columbus Cyclocross/commuter.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshFrank
Well I went ahead and did it, raced masters yesterday. I was encouraged by three teammates (also racing masters)to give it a shot. No rookie mistakes but boy did I get my ass handed to me. The course started with a longish paved climb followed by an equally longish paved decent. I should mention that I'm running single speed, obviously at the rear of the pack by the time we hit dirt. After the pukey feeling passed I kept reminding myself how fun this is from the depths of my pain cave. Sweet relief came when the nice official told me "finished". I came in 22 out of 25, the winner only had me by two measly laps .

Next week I'll try it again and probably run the C's as well for comparison, maybe the 45min "warmup" will give me a shot.
Nice job Joshfrank. Better to race hard and finish 22 of 25 than to get called a sandbagger your first race out. At least now you know, and you still weren't dead f'ing last. Cross' is all about fun and racing with whoever is closest, so go ahead and race with the guys in the back of the masters, or race with some guys in the C's. Either way you're out their having fun (after the "pukey feeling" that is. - I get it too, second lap usually).