Old 11-01-07, 01:01 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gohawks
Got hit from behind while riding on a bike path this weekend by a careless cyclist. No warning whatsoever- no "bike on your left". I had slowed and was beginning to turn off the path following my two friends who had just exited the path a moment prior. My friend yelled but it was too late. This guy crashes into me sending me and my brand new ride flying. I am fine, just a scraped up left knee and forearm. My bartape has a nice sized chunk missing and the rear quick release shows some road rash. It's sad that I was more concerned with the bike.

The other guy didn't fall off his bike- he just stood there watching me pick my bike up. I told him to slow it down and to say something like "bicycle on your left" next time. The only smart thing he did was high-tail it outta there. Dumb$h!t.
Sorry to hear about your crash. Glad it wasn't worse.

To get off the bike path, were you turning left?

Before you ever move laterally, I suggest it's a good habit to always look back over the shoulder on the side to which you are moving, to make sure it's safe and clear to move laterally in that direction, and also to serve as an indication to others that you intend to turn in that direction. Once that habit is ingrained, you'll find it almost impossible to move laterally without looking back first. I'm not the only one here who has reported catching myself start doing shoulder checks while walking. That's when you know the habit is ingrained.