Old 11-02-07, 01:33 AM
j0nshaw
A Fin

Bikes: Fantom Cross CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Diego: Need suggestions for first bike investment~!

Hello all,

I'm Jonathan, a second year student at UCSD looking to use the large part of my work earnings to purchase my first bike. I've been lurking around the forum for quite some time now, but have yet to make up my mind. I need your help!

I had my buddy buy me a bike from a swap meet in oceanside, and he got me an old specialized hardrock that was pretty much rebuilt with junk, for $30. It worked for 1.5 days, then the chain snapped, taking the gear shift mech.(derailer?) with it. That bike is hopeless.

1. Budget: I've saved up a decent amount, I believe, to invest in a bike ~ $400
2. I plan to need this to get through campus, off campus to run errands, and take the occasional challenge course

I have been tracking craigslist, but so far everything just gave me an "ehhh" reaction...:x

If you can--suggest:

1. Should I purchase a bike online? Or are there any good LBS in the La Jolla/UTC area to go to instead?
2. What brand and model of bike? I've seen tons in the commuting section of the forum, but I still need some specific ones...

---

side note.--from what I found, there appears to be a 17% off coupon link that works at fogdog.com. They have bikes like the schwinn seneca road bike, and it rings up to $240.69 shipped, not inc. tax. Is this what I should be going for in my case? I'd like to have the freedom to get wider/partially treaded tires for going off road in...but then again, you all know more than me.

Hope to hear from you, fellow SoCal peeps!

-J0nathan