Old 11-02-07, 03:24 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
3/4 cup of oatmeal = 110 cal
tsp sugar = 16 cal
cantaloupe wedge (1/8 of medium melon) = 35 cal/ea

Even if you had 3 of those melon slices, you're looking at fueling up pre-ride with about 230 calories. Figure for endurance riding that you need 300 cal/hr that you're out if you want to balance out even.

I don't think that over 1.5 hours you'll feel a whole lot of benefit from a gel at the 60 minute mark, because you need to get the fuel into your tank before you reach the empty mark. If you want to go with a mid-ride gel, I say go with having it between the 30 and 45 minute mark. Check to see how many calories it is beforehand. Some are 100 cal, and others are 200 or even 250.
Personally, I'd just eat more before the ride and try adding some protein to your pre-ride meal. It's important during endurance rides to keep your protein intake going.

I just did a long ride last weekend and miscalculated my nutritional intake and I conked out well before my goal. It sucks, but you get to fine tune your routine and learn from it. (I got a lot of great information from everyone on this forum.)