Old 11-05-07, 03:12 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
big bear used to do them, but not any more. Sounds like you need to link up with more riders to help you get faster and decend better. If you KNOW you can clean it on a SS, dont get out of the middle chain ring and power up that stuff.

Racing is more metal then phyical as far as MTB world is (if the field is even). Don't shift lower then you have to but don't blow up either. Riding at redline is fine just don't cross it cuz it takes a good 3-5 minutes to recover. If the the field is close (within viewing distance) that other rider will be GONE. Name of the game, keep sight with those in your group. Remember their jersey or helmet color or something. You want them to be that carrot on the end of the stick. Same goes for Downhilling too. The guys I raced with last yr were kicking my ass up the climbs, but I close the gap QUICK on the DH. But the problem is that XC racing is 80-90% up hill. My style worked well with SuperD, but opened my eyes to the XC side of things. So I trained on doing sprints up the climbs.

There is this uphill single track near my house I'd do a TT on every other day, 6 1/2 minute climb at redline or just over it. 8-15% grade for about 1 mile is a pure butt kicker. The decent is great for the skills too since it's steep and narrow. Find something like that and have fun on it. Make a game outa it otherwise it gets boring and not fun. Race a friend up it too!!! If he is faster, have him ride behind you so you can "feel" the pressure of a fast guy on your tire. This will push you to go faster and also push him as well. If he DH faster, let him go first and you try to keep the gap small.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.