Old 11-05-07, 09:41 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Serious question about towing on ice

This question may sound really dumb to southerner's and probably many more, but I'm serious! I am considering putting studded tires on an old mountain bike for use in towing my ice fishing shanty and gear. I ride my road bike about 3500 miles a year but have difficulty walking even short distances due to a sport injury to my ankle suffered 30 years ago while in college. I use a quad to pull my stuff on Lake Erie but most every inland lake prohibits motorized viechles. The folding shanty is made of plastic and canvas and when folded works as a sled. The shanty, auger, tackle and electonic equipment weigh about 65 lbs. (ice fishing is much like biking, as there is always more stuff you need, like underwater camera, GPS, higher power fishfinders, as well as the latest clothing and 'must have tackle') Can a bike with studded tires be used for towing? How fast do I need to pull the load for the wheels to have enough centrifical force to keep me upright. It can get fairly windy out there, well, really windy! I'm think I will need to use platform pedals as I don't think I can get feltpack boots into toeclips and can't figure out how to attach SPD's to the boots.LOL