View Single Post
Old 11-05-07, 11:52 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozrider
Too hot in July and August? Dude, I grew up in Ballston Lake and I don't ever remember it being too hot in the summer. In fact, I don't remember it ever going above 80. Now, the black flies, that's a different story. We pretty much rode all year long, except when the snow got really deep. Really deep there is above six feet.

I live in Milwaukee now, which is gets dammed cold in the winter. In fact, sometimes in January we are colder than Alaska. Windchills can go to 60 below farenheit here. To be fair, normal winters the temp ranges from about 10 below to the high 20s. The problem here is the wind. We had gusts of 55 mph today with a falling temp.

What do you people do in high winds? they are a pain to ride in.
Wind makes all the difference. -15 or even lower is no problem if it's calm. Part of the reason I'm considering more of a road bike/hybrid as opposed to the mountain bike I have been using is that I remember too many days where it felt I could hardly make any forward progress due to high winds.
At least riding in the drops on a road bike I wouldn't be as much of a nylon/lycra parachute.